Monday 15 January 2007

Psychic Time-Telling

I had to go up the town at lunchtime.

As I was heading back, a guy was walking alongside me, looking a bit shifty. I say shifty because he kept turning and looking at me, then quickly looking away again whenever I looked back. I got the distinct feeling that he was going to say something to me (or possibly aloud to himself about me – I've had that happen in town before). Now, I confess I am usually suspicious of all other people in general; but since the now infamous "nice pair" incident with the creepy old guy one quiet and secluded afternoon a couple of months ago, I figure it's always good to be prepared.

Anyway, this guy was walking beside me, and he turned again as if he was going to speak, but this time he looked beyond me, at the small supermarket we had just passed. He then stopped walking and turned back, as if he'd decided to go in there as an afterthought.

I carried on walking but then, about ten steps later, I found him alongside me again. By this time, I was sure he was plotting something. And, sure enough, he was: he asked me the time.

It just so happens that I had checked the clock on my phone about five minutes previous to this, so, deciding not take my eyes off him (and not to reveal my mobile phone), I simply added five minutes to the time I had seen then, and told him this. Et voilĂ !

It occurred to me afterwards that it must have looked as if I'd just psychically known the time. In fact, he probably went away thinking that I was the weird one.

I wish I could psychically tell the time. That would be bloody handy.

I admit that I can't think of any great examples right now of just how handy that would be exactly, but don't let my temporary lack of imagination convince you that it wouldn't be really, really good.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pickpocket! Either that or he wanted to ask you out.
'nice pair incident', what have I missed?

The Zinc Stoat said...

I went out one afternoon for a constitutional along the river, and a scruffy old bloke started behaving in much the same manner as this guy, only even more shiftily.
Instead of asking the time, though, he just commented aloud to himself that "she's got a nice pair", and then began to follow me.
It was, as you can probably imagine, a beautiful moment.