Thursday 11 January 2007

Bloody Van Drivers: A Rant

As I was driving home tonight, doing the usual slalom between the parked cars and dodging the other traffic, a large van in front of me did something I wasn't expecting.

We were both sat behind a parked car, waiting for the oncoming one to get out of our way. The van had his right indicator on, as well he might in that situation.

But, when the road ahead had cleared, instead of pulling out and overtaking the parked car – as I had been expecting – he pulled over to the right, and used the entrance to a bungalow's driveway as a lay by.

Now, I could tell that this was a bit naughty for three reasons:

  • Firstly, by parking the way he had, he had positioned himself at a right-angle to the driveway itself. This odd perching behaviour said to me that he had no actual business at these premises.

  • Secondly, it was a large drive and, by parking in this frankly bizarre manner, he was unnecessarily blocking access to it. This seemed a little strange and a bit stupid in itself. And also indicative of somebody who knew they should not have been there.

  • Lastly (and this is the worse bit), it was my fucking drive!
And did I mention the bit about me being on my way home?

The bit that really got me peeved was when I sounded my horn and he just scuttled forward a few inches as if he thought that I was struggling to pass him. So, not did he show himself to be an inconsiderate arse, he also went on to impress me further by making the immediate assumption that I was some sort of rubbish girly-girl driver who couldn't squeeze her ickle car through an enormous gap.

I stayed put and beeped again. He sodded off eventually.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Understandable. I hate people who that.
I had a van driver have a go at me because I blew my horn at him. He was
parked across my driveway and I was trying to get out.

Anonymous said...

I was driving my large van full of orphans, puppies, old people and kidneys to be transplanted the other day. Suddenly I found myself harassed by a girl beeping the horn as I valiantly pulled in to the side of the road to given an emergency transplant to a dying puppy that belonged to one of the orphans.

The inconsiderate woman made me move along and all the puppies died in sympathy with the orphan's puppy.

True story.

The Zinc Stoat said...

I can understand 'kidneys', but where would an orphan, a puppy or an old person be implanted?

Anonymous said...

It was my build-a-zombie van I was driving at the time.

The Zinc Stoat said...

I don't think I want to know what the puppies were for, in that case.