Thursday 18 January 2007

Other Drivers: Another Rant

Why is it that people seem to think that the closer they get to you whilst you're all stationery in traffic, the quicker they'll get to where they're going?

It's as if they seem to think that all those inches will add up and somehow magically shave five minutes off their journey time.

The worst example by far, though, is when you're on a steep incline. Now, even if I didn't have an automatic gearbox in my current car, I am confident about my hill starts; but I certainly don't expect everybody else to be. I've seen people unable to do simple turning manoeuvres without mounting the curb, and people backing into parked cars without even realising they've done it. I've seen people steering jaggedly round roundabouts in the wrong lane and with one hand holding a mobile phone to their ear. (I've seen van drivers park across my drive.) And I've seen men using electric razors whilst driving to work.

But what idiot could possibly think that squeezing right up somebody's arse on a 1 in 14 road is a good idea?

A staggeringly large number, it seems.

As ever, I despair am hopelessly optimistic about all of this.


4 comments:

Valerie Moss said...

Hello Ms Stoat, was just flicking through 'next blog' and came across yours. I like Dennis - maybe he's a relation of mine?
Good blogspot
Val :-)

The Zinc Stoat said...

Why, thank you very much.
Dennis isn't sure if you're related, but he says he's always pleased to meet other mustelids. As am I.

Scurvy said...

ONe of these days I need to rig up an anti-tailgating system on my van. It would be a rear mounted washer resivior with rear facing nozzle to squirt the jerk behind me. Good for a laugh too if you're into cheap hijinks.

The Zinc Stoat said...

I have had that exact same thought.
Mind you, I'm the sort of person who thinks that standing up out of a sunroof with a huge pump-action water pistol would also be a top idea.