Wednesday 11 April 2007

The Squirrel Conundrum

I've lost 18 pence. It's quite worrying.

For the last few days, I've been keeping a meticulous log of all my outgoings – from the money in my bank, right down to the cash in my wallet.

I reconciled my cash at the weekend, and it was spot-on. Now, suddenly, I'm 18 pence adrift.

Of course, I don't in any way consider this to be a large or important sum of money. I'm just scared by the fact that I seem to be either unable to count, completely incompetent, or a combination of both.



I got rather upset whilst driving my car this afternoon. And I don't mean in the shouting-at-bad-drivers kind of way.

An animal of some kind – I think it was a squirrel, but I couldn't be certain in all the excitement – ran out of the road in front of me.

I braked as hard as I could, but I still heard a sad little thud.

Luckily, however, when I looked in my rear-view mirror I saw the same animal finish darting across the road and disappear off into the woods. So it was neither dead, crippled nor stunned at that point.

Now, there's something loose inside my boot (not a euphemism, before you start) that donks against the car when I go round tight bends. I'm desperately hoping that the sound I heard was of that hitting the back of the boot when I hit the breaks, and that no squirrels were harmed in the making of this journey home.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was walking across the road tonight, heading back to my tree, when suddenly.....

Anonymous said...

I once clobbered a squirrel with the sump of my Citroen AX GT.

The Citroen was a right-off