Thursday 29 March 2007

Adventures In Smell And Taste

I'm feeling a little disheartened today.

With coffee, of all things.

How can it be that something that smells so good can sometimes simply fail to deliver in the taste department?

I'm not saying that coffee never tastes good: I happen to love coffee. I'm just saying that sometimes coffee smells outrageously gorgeous but then doesn't live up to its promise.

Perhaps the coffee in question – the coffee that broke my heart – just wasn't strong enough on the day.

Who knows?

That said, I bought a box of those 'instant cappuccino' sachets the other day (admittedly from Poundland – it seemed like a money-wise and, therefore, clever idea at the time). Once water was added, they smelled a bit like brown rice. And they tasted like the water brown rice had been boiled in.

So, I guess, coffee doesn't always smell good either.

It usually does, though.

Although, now that I think about it, it's probably just as well that everything I like the smell of doesn't taste good, or I'd probably have developed quite a nasty Creosote, matt emulsion and petrol habit by now.

Not mixed together, of course. What a silly thing for you to even suggest.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chips.
They smell great, but in the end you are left with greasy potato.